Forest Club – Green wood carving
Explore and engage with nature in a new and creative way.
In this beautiful ancient woodland, we will learn, play and make at a gentle pace while immersing ourselves in nature and supporting our wellbeing. We will delve into the art of carving with green wood, utilising mallets and gouges. These sessions are suitable for beginners and improvers, the course includes all the tools and materials you will need to begin your journey into wood carving.
The session is led by Stephen Stockbridge, sculptor, maker and Forest School teacher.
- We will use green wood, freshly cut with a high moisture content. This is a beautiful and easy way to carve wood.
- You are supported through the whole process and encouraged to explore carving in your own way and at your own pace. This is an exercise in slowing down and settling your attention.
- All tools and materials are supplied and at the end of the session you will have your first carving started.
- The session goes ahead, whatever the weather, so please dress appropriately.
- Please bring a flask or bottle of water.
- The entrance to the part of Lesnes Abbey Woods we will be working in is off New Road SE2 0QQ, there will be signage to show you the way.
To register your interest please contact:
To find out more, visit the Creative Nature HQ website:
Download the Lesnes app
Access lots of information about the history and ecology of this beautiful site.
Lesnes Abbey visitor survey
We value your opinion and would like to hear what you think about Lesnes Abbey Woods.